First run sold out, second run on order

Talk about the PockeTerm, updates, and uses

First run sold out, second run on order

Postby vbriel » Feb Mon 16, 2009 8:06 am

The first run of boards sold out in one day. That is the first time I have had boards go in a day since I first started the replica 1 project 5 years ago.

More boards are due in on Feb 24 and I will continue to take orders and let people know of the 1 week delay.

Vince
vbriel
Site Admin

Re: First run sold out, second run on order

Postby hanso » Feb Mon 16, 2009 11:53 am

vbriel wrote:The first run of boards sold out in one day. That is the first time I have had boards go in a day since I first started the replica 1 project 5 years ago.

More boards are due in on Feb 24 and I will continue to take orders and let people know of the 1 week delay.

Vince

You have a hit! Congrats! This shows how welcome this is.
hanso

Postby Bill Loguidice » Feb Tue 17, 2009 3:55 pm

I definitely want one, but I'm wavering between the kit and the pre-assembled version of PocketTerm. How would you rate the assembly difficulty? I bought the Replica and MicroKim pre-assembled...
Bill Loguidice

Postby vbriel » Feb Tue 17, 2009 7:37 pm

Well, I really packed a lot of components on this board. If you are doing soldering for the first time, PCB's like this are not recomended. However, if you have done any soldering, this is probably a good board to try. The circuit is small (3 chips, and just 2 of them are the main circuit) and the external components.

This is definately the easier of the kits to build. It might be time to get it a go Bill. Building kits are very rewarding, especially at first power up! Remember, this PockeTerm reprogrammed with a version of BASIC is a full blown computer :)

Download the manual and look at the steps involved, see if you have any questions.

Vince
vbriel
Site Admin

Postby Dr_Acula » Apr Wed 15, 2009 1:40 am

Hi Vince,

PockeTerm continues to give sterling service, but I have been wondering - why not take it further and use it for internet access as well?

I'll explain in more detail: I've been using the Z80 N8VEM design and working over the last month with a group of people trying to get this board on the 'net. The key is a device which translates serial to ethernet and vice versa. There are lots of devices at $300 each, there is the xport at $47 and that is about as low as it goes. I managed to pick up some lantronix MSS100 devices for a great price on ebay, but these sorts of bargains are intermittent. But in experimenting with these I've learn't a lot about telnet and interfacing. The problem is that you have a large number of settings that you need to set to get things working. Baud rate. IP address, welcome text, logoff timeout, etc etc. The MSS100 starts off by the user programming them at 9600 baud via the serial port to tell it the IP address. Once it has an IP address, then you can go on and talk to it via an internet browser. In the last few days we have got telnet working and even got xmodem working for file transfers. Now it is time to get the costs down.

I am wondering if pocketerm could do this? It already has a keyboard, a serial port and a display, so changing settings is quite easy to do.

Plus, the code for TCP/IP etc is already on the propeller object exchange http://obex.parallax.com/objects/search/?q=enc28j60

Check out this http://ucontroller.com/documentation/PropNICDoc.html for starters. That is a 5 wire connection (4 wire SPI plus there is an interrupt as well). And guess what, P11 to P15 happen to be free on the pocketterm. It gets better because while the propnic is $30, there are very similar boards on ebay for only $16 http://www.mdfly.com/newmdfly/products/ ... Z28J60.pdf. Or with the enc28j60 for $7 and the magnetics/RJ45 for $3, maybe even build one cheaper?

Anyway, I think this could be a great add-on for the pocketerm as it might be as simple as soldering 5 wires to the spare propeller pins.

Data transfer could be programmed to do all sorts of things, but the simplest might be for all data coming in to just 'wire or' with the keyboard. And data going out - well you might turn that on or off with an escape sequence.

My question is whether there is enough code space in the propeller for the "EthernetTestHK1" (link as above). Some of that code is replicated in the pocketerm already (the serial drivers for instance) and the rest doesn't look too much.

Thoughts would be most appreciated.

James Moxham moxhamj@internode.on.net
Dr_Acula

Postby vbriel » Apr Wed 15, 2009 6:20 am

James,

This is possible, but I'm not sure it is that easy software wise. Yes, the drivers are done but I've not done anything with TCP. Software would have to be written to do telnet I guess. This would turn your pocketerm into a telnet device. I'd like to do this but I need more info on what is required. Once I know what needs to be done, I can write the program to do it.

uController is probably the best solution. I use their format connection for the SD connector. So, if you want SD card on the PockeTerm, get the uController SD card and you are all set.

Vince
vbriel
Site Admin

Postby vbriel » Apr Wed 15, 2009 6:49 am

Ok, you forced me to browse. Looks like I might be wrong, telnet might just be sending data out and receiving data in. If this is the case, the conversion would be really easy. Somehow I can't see this being that easy. This should actually be a new thread. Right now I'm going to wirewrap the 8085 test board to run some tests, then I can look into this.

Vince
vbriel
Site Admin

Postby Dr_Acula » Apr Wed 15, 2009 11:55 pm

I've ordered a enc28j60 chip/rj45 combo - they are all pretty standardised modules and there are several vendors, ucontroller being one of them. Down the track it might be easier to put the chip on the board etc after it is tested. The telnet code seems to be already written. The big issue might be whether there is another cog spare or where to put the code. The pocketerm already has so much of the functionality that it might just be a matter of $15 worth of components to add internet access to a wide range of retro computers (I've got one online at the moment using a lantronix MSS100).
Dr_Acula

Re: First run sold out, second run on order

Postby Compututor » Aug Sun 15, 2010 7:58 pm

Hello. Do you still have kits of the pocket term in stock, and what is the typical shipping turn around time?

Thanks,

Dave
Compututor

Return to PockeTerm General Discussion