Pocket-Term with 3.3v TTL serial devices

Talk about the PockeTerm, updates, and uses

Pocket-Term with 3.3v TTL serial devices

Postby tfurrows » Oct Mon 31, 2011 4:04 pm

The Pocket Term appears to use a max232 chip to get the voltages right for normal PC operation. My question is this- can this be bypassed to use the Pocket-Term with 3.3v TTL serial devices (such as many DDWRT capable routers with internal serial consoles)? Can anyone point me in the right direction for finding out the best way of accomplishing this task? Thanks.
tfurrows

Re: Pocket-Term with 3.3v TTL serial devices

Postby vbriel » Oct Mon 31, 2011 6:10 pm

Yes, but this information is at your own risk of use :shock:

Ok, on the pocketerm board pull the max232. Pin 10 is TX and Pin 9 is RX that goes thru a 1K inline resistor to resist 5V signals. If you want RX before the resistor, find the 3 pin transistor. The 1K resistor is right above it. The right side of that pin is RX before the 1K resistor, just tap that. Don't forget to use ground when wiring up to the device.

By the way, I did a router with DDWRT about 2 months ago, works great as a receiving router!

Vince
vbriel
Site Admin

Re: Pocket-Term with 3.3v TTL serial devices

Postby tfurrows » Oct Thu 25, 2012 11:41 am

Bumping a year-old thread here... just wanted to report that this works perfectly. For clarity I would add that the instructions to solder on the right-hand side of the resistor above the 3-pin transistor are assuming you're holding the board with the silk-screening readable and in the correct orientation. Most recently I used the advice here to connect my PocketTerm up to my RaspberryPI (which happens to have a debug console running on 3 GPIO pins). Worked perfectly right off the bat, with the only additional change being that I had to change the baud on the PocketTerm to 115200.
tfurrows

Return to PockeTerm General Discussion