New Altair logo artwork...

Discuss the new Altair 8800 Micro

New Altair logo artwork...

Postby Corey986 » Aug Sun 26, 2012 12:31 pm

So I made this artwork from a scan of an actual Altair 8800.
To get the right look, go to a hobbyshop and buy two things. Aluminum hobby panel (You can cut this to size with a sharp box cutter and then sand the edge to dull) and clear Watershed decal paper. The paper must match your printer, for example don't use the Ink Jet version with a laser printer and vice versa. I used a very high DPI color laser.

Corey986

Re: New Altair logo artwork...

Postby bibrex » Aug Sun 26, 2012 7:40 pm

Very nice, Corey! I Like :D
Billy

When you've eliminated the impossible,
whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth. - Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
bibrex

Postby no0207 » Nov Sun 11, 2012 5:22 am

This looks great!

As first step of customization I would also like to color the box of my micro. How did you manage to get such a clean edge of the blue color on the upside of the box? I once tried something similar but the color crept below the masking tape so the result was ugly - for that reason I am still reluctant to give it a try with my micro's box ;)
no0207

Postby Corey986 » Nov Mon 12, 2012 9:49 am

no0207 wrote:This looks great!

As first step of customization I would also like to color the box of my micro. How did you manage to get such a clean edge of the blue color on the upside of the box? I once tried something similar but the color crept below the masking tape so the result was ugly - for that reason I am still reluctant to give it a try with my micro's box ;)

Well it's all about prep work and what you use. First thing is clean the surface with 90%+ alcohol. Next use only the blue painters tape, not regular masking tape. Also you must prime it and paint it with multiple coats. You must also use plastic compatible paint. I had paint lying around, but it was Rustolium plastic compatible paint for both the primer and color coat. I used if I recall 2 coats of primer and 3-4 (maybe more) coats of paint doing thin coats and final coat heavier. When the paint was dry (not cured) I removed the painters tape. This is how you get a clean line. The primer seals the special painters tape and the color coat goes on top.

BTW: My color is darker than a real Altair. I like this look because the front panel on a real Altair is grey not black and on the Micro it's black (The flash was on in this shot so you can really see the difference). So the Micro kinda "pops" and looks great. I don't think using Altair blue it would do well. My color is something like signal or bright blue, don't recall exactly.
Cheers,
Corey

Corey986

Postby elchucko » Dec Mon 23, 2013 1:07 am

Is there a reason for the color specific switch covers/boots on the real Altair? I plan to do something similar primarily to make the switches commonly used A10/A11/A12 Aux protect etc easier to recognize. It will be easier for me (beside the silkscreen) to see the switches plus the rubber boot will be easier on the fingers (although that's no big deal). Primarily I just thought it would help "dress up" the Micro.
elchucko

Return to Altair 8800 Micro