Just ordered the ram/disk upgrade kit...

Discuss the new Altair 8800 Micro

Just ordered the ram/disk upgrade kit...

Postby waltermixxx » May Wed 06, 2015 6:12 pm

Although wire wrapping the ram/disk interface, would have cost less, I decided I wanted my Altair 8800micro to be completely authentic. This baby will be a collectors item one day. Plus I was having issues with atmel studio 6.2. (He he)...I don't wanna get into it. Atmel AVRISP mkII usb programmer (pull my hair out).

I chatted with Vince via email, and he has the kit in stock, and adjusted the shipping cost for the kit, so I placed my order. He also indicated he would replace the faulty 62256 from my base Altair 8800micro. Which is great because I pulled a working one out of my wire wrapped Replica 1plus.

I'm hoping I won't have any missing parts and that as soon as it arrives I can build and install it.

I may head to Home Depot to pick up some blue paint as well.

My wife still looks at me funny when I turn on my 8800Micro and stare lovingly at the blinkenlights.

Speaking of which it's time to play bagels.
waltermixxx

Re: Just ordered the ram/disk upgrade kit...

Postby waltermixxx » May Thu 07, 2015 2:29 pm

Package shipped and on its way...

Super fast.
waltermixxx

Postby waltermixxx » May Wed 13, 2015 11:24 am

Arrived this morning all parts included :)
and thank you for the faulty Ram Replacement as well :)

Thanks again, Mr. Briel :)

Cheers. :)

hope to solder this up tonight...
and mess around with assembly code. :)

Cheers. :)
waltermixxx

Postby waltermixxx » May Fri 15, 2015 7:32 am

I have my 88-DSK Ram board built, installed, and working. I think i have to update my cp/m version, because I'm running 5.2 vga term now, and cpu 5.2 and I am getting a protocol error. I have already searched the forums and have the link to download a newer version of cp/m, ( will do that later on ) but i was able to launch cp/m and run zork 1 on drive B.

I understand that the .dsk file format used to load the ram drives, is special to the 8800 is there a way to create your own?
do we load up a blank disk in B, syscopy, and then use tdir, tread, twrite to transfer files to it and then dump it back to the sd card? is this the approach i should adopt? :)
waltermixxx

Return to Altair 8800 Micro