Kit add-on ideas for the Altair 8800 Micro

Discuss the new Altair 8800 Micro

Kit add-on ideas for the Altair 8800 Micro

Postby jasonrp7743 » Sep Sun 27, 2015 12:09 pm

I had a couple of ideas for add-ons that I think would be super neat for the Altair 8800 Micro platform:

1) Along the lines of the serial connector add-on, perhaps a PC speaker could be easy to adapt to the platform? My guess is that this would plug in to the expansion header, and would require a rev of the terminal software to convert CTRL-G's from printing [BELL] on the screen to actually making a bell sound.

2) Now that old-school BBS's are back online, only instead of listening to a twisted pair phone connection, they listen for inbound telnet connections. Imagine a telnet "modem" kit, that could be built as an external unit, with LEDs for TX and RX, etc., plugged into the serial port.. I think this would rock- I think there are already programs available for CP/M for the BBS terminal client (like Qmodem?) Imagine "dialing" up a BBS on your Altair clone, and checking out email!?

Thoughts?
Jason
jasonrp7743

Re: Kit add-on ideas for the Altair 8800 Micro

Postby Frotz661 » Dec Sat 12, 2015 5:10 am

jasonrp7743 wrote:I had a couple of ideas for add-ons that I think would be super neat for the Altair 8800 Micro platform:

1) Along the lines of the serial connector add-on, perhaps a PC speaker could be easy to adapt to the platform? My guess is that this would plug in to the expansion header, and would require a rev of the terminal software to convert CTRL-G's from printing [BELL] on the screen to actually making a bell sound.

2) Now that old-school BBS's are back online, only instead of listening to a twisted pair phone connection, they listen for inbound telnet connections. Imagine a telnet "modem" kit, that could be built as an external unit, with LEDs for TX and RX, etc., plugged into the serial port.. I think this would rock- I think there are already programs available for CP/M for the BBS terminal client (like Qmodem?) Imagine "dialing" up a BBS on your Altair clone, and checking out email!?

Thoughts?
Jason

As-is, the BBS won't work because that serial port is always in use, either directly or feeding the built-in PockeTerm.
Frotz661

Return to Altair 8800 Micro