DC brick wall right supply / Hyperterminal settings

Get help here getting your replica 1 going

DC brick wall right supply / Hyperterminal settings

Postby Apple92 » Dec Wed 26, 2007 1:00 pm

Hi,

I have been running my Replica 1 for two days now. A couple of questions/remarks have come to mind.

1- A the beginning, I used to supply the voltage through a DC brick wall. I then noticed that it is necessary to increase the brick output voltage to about 7.5 volts (insted of 6) in order to get a 4.99 v on the Replica 1 board. My DC brick wall output current is limited to 500 mA. What is the current consumption of the board (with a PS/2 keyboard connected to) under 5 volts ? Indeed, I suspect that the DC brick wall output voltage has to be increased so that the power delivered can reach the lowest input power of the LM7805.

2- My old Apple 2 b/w monitor and my old ps/2 keyboard have gone back to the garage since the hyperterminal enable to use the Replica 1 (I really recommend the USB option). Nevertheless, I noticed that the setting parameter "Character Delay" (10 ms) produces many errors during a text file downloading (some chars are repeated or canceled). When updated to 100 ms, all errors disappear (download is slower of course). Did anyone notice the same thing?

Regards,
Franz
Apple92

Postby Kallikak » Dec Wed 26, 2007 2:18 pm

I'd expect the voltage drop on a 7805 to be around 2V (meaning you should really be putting in 7V+ to get a properly regulated 5V), but my Replica is older than the SE so I don't know the specific part used.

100ms character delay sounds excessive. When not using the ACIA-based serial port, I run quite successfully with 10ms delay. If you are having problems I'd recommend trying 15ms or 20ms rather than going all the way up to 100. :-)

Ken
Kallikak

Return to Troubleshooting