Dual swipe or Machined sockets

Dual swipe sockets
35%
Machined sockets
65%

Total votes : 20

POLL: Machined socket or Dual swipe

Postby vbriel » Feb Sun 26, 2012 1:07 pm

Ok, here's a fun poll that can help me decide how to setup future or current kits. Most are aware the advantage of machined sockets over the older dual swipe style, but are most people aware of the price differnce. The dual swipe is around $.20 vs $1.00 for the machined socket (depending on socket size, etc). Now, the advantage of the machine socket is its definate contact with the chip. No chip creep, and just good connection with the chip. The dual swipe is easier to install. So, now you have some idea of the difference between the two types, now help me with the poll.

Remember, the duel swipe can make kits at least $10 cheaper and also remember, the machined sockets are much higher quality.

Vince
vbriel
Site Admin

Re: POLL: Machined socket or Duel swipe

Postby tranter » Feb Sun 26, 2012 1:56 pm

I'd go for saving some cost and using the cheaper sockets. In my experience they are more prone to getting pins bent underneath the socket, so you should warn people to watch for that.

And incidently, it is "dual swipe" and not "duel swipe". (Sorry to be pedantic).
tranter

Re: POLL: Machined socket or Dual swipe

Postby vbriel » Feb Sun 26, 2012 2:45 pm

well, yes, but they are dueling :)
vbriel
Site Admin

Postby renejm » Mar Fri 09, 2012 11:36 am

Vince, My class just finished butilding many of your kits and we did have a single socket with a bad contact. When using the machined sockets if that happens all you need to do is push out the offending hole from the bottom and push a new one in the socket - nice, with dual swipe you have to desolder the entire socket - painful. I have always used the "double swipe" on all of my projects and have only had the problems described by tranter.
Keep up the good work - either way for me.
renejm

Postby jac_goudsmit » Mar Fri 16, 2012 10:54 am

Maybe you should give the buyers the option of buying either of the two?

I just built the final prototype for my own project kit, using all new parts and milled sockets. I found out that because new chips always have their pins bent out so much, I was really scared to bend the pins and then push them into the sockets. Especially the first time you use the sockets, it takes a lot of force to insert the chips!

So I decided I'll probably switch to dual swipe for my project as well. It'll save my customers money and it'll save me a lot of hassle with users that broke pins off their chips, didn't dare to insert the chips all the way or zapped the chips with ESD while they were bending the pins. In most cases, I don't expect them to remove the chips from the sockets anyway.

===Jac
jac_goudsmit

Postby vbriel » Mar Fri 16, 2012 11:21 am

That's not a bad idea, it just means more sockets to stock, but not a problem. I just don't want people getting confused on their kits. I'm also considering selling board board+ROM kits. For example, the Micro-KIM blank board plus EEROM for $25-29 range, replica 1 also. I already offer the PockeTerm blank board and it is pretty popular.

Vince
vbriel
Site Admin

Postby jac_goudsmit » Mar Fri 16, 2012 11:28 am

Now that I think about it, I may even consider selling a "super cheapskate I-can-solder-and-I-don't-need-no-steenking-warranty" version without any sockets: people who think they can solder the 74HC chips straight onto the board without zapping them, can do get that version and save money on sockets.

===Jac
jac_goudsmit

Postby lizardb0y » May Sun 13, 2012 8:07 pm

Having now built the Altair 8800micro and 88-DSK RAM Drive kits with machined sockets, I find I like them more than the dual swipe I'm used to. It took me a few tries before I worked out a technique for reliably inserting into the machined sockets, but the result feels much more solid and reliable than dual swipe, and I suspect they will stand the test of time better.
Andrew
Proud owner of [uril=https://youtu.be/Qab-960Dl1E]Altair 8800 Micro #139[/url]
http://www.vintage8bit.com/
lizardb0y

Postby Toolkitman » May Sat 26, 2012 11:24 am

i wote for machined one they seems more solid ; ).
Toolkitman

Postby dbvanhorn » Aug Thu 01, 2013 8:46 pm

From long experience designing credit card terminals with EPROMS: If the chips come in and out a lot, AMP dual wipes are supreme. If the chips get installed only a few times, screw machine sockets are best (lowest resistance).
dbvanhorn

Return to Venues, projects and off topic stuff - NO SPAM