The Grant Searle CP/M computer (almost 8 MHz!)

Vintage Events and off topic talk

The Grant Searle CP/M computer (almost 8 MHz!)

Postby no0207 » Jun Thu 20, 2013 12:28 pm

There is one tinkering technology that still fascinates me very much: Constructing things on a breadboard. That is how my personal experience with digital electronics began.
These days I ran into the project page of Grant Searle's breadboard CP/M computer:
http://searle.hostei.com/grant/cpm/
It looks very fascinating - at least to me - and hey! - it is a real CP/M machine running at almost 8 MHz! At the moment I am in the process of trying to get ahold of all the pieces and bits which are required for this neat thing. Have not found a vendor that still offers the fast CMOS versions of the Z80 family chips (named Z84C...) at a reasonable price - so cross your fingers for me that my orders from Hongkong make it to me ;)

Realisticly all pieces will be probably here within the next two weeks. I will keep you informed how things go, so stay tuned ;)

And in fact my interest in a CP/M computer system and to find the mentioned project page was triggered by FPGA experiments ;) Maybe somewhat later this year I will have an FPGA version of a CP/M Computer up and running, at a system clock that might be in a range of 25 MHz or even more.
Last edited by no0207 on Aug Thu 08, 2013 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no0207

Re: did anyone of you already try this?

Postby no0207 » Jul Fri 12, 2013 12:00 pm

Almost one month gone, and not much progress with my exemplar of the Grant Searle CP/M Computer :(
In fact it is difficult to get ahold of some Z84C chips (the fast CMOS version of the Z80 family). Ordered a CPU and a SIO/2 from Hongkong, after 3 Weeks of waiting I got 2 pieces of CPU instead :(

This afternoon I prepared the CF-Card Adapter (see attached photo). Soldering at the limits of my abilities. Please cross your fingers for me this thing will ever work ;)
Attachments
cf-adapter.jpg
cf-adapter.jpg (133.3 KiB) Viewed 11516 times
no0207

Re: did anyone of you already try this?

Postby no0207 » Jul Mon 15, 2013 11:40 am

***FINALLY*** a parcel with a Z84C SIO/2 arrived today. The last missing chip. I was already somewhat in panic because it appeared so hard to get one. Ordered from different vendors. Guess soon it will rain SIOs over here ;)
So this afternoon I began with the wiring. Half the way through it looks already very weird :?

Either this computer will work from the very first power on, wiring failure detection could be "mission almost impossible" otherwise.
Attachments
wirr1.jpg
wirr1.jpg (150.6 KiB) Viewed 11493 times
no0207

Return to Venues, projects and off topic stuff - NO SPAM