Do you prefer kits with machine or standard sockets

machined sockets
71%
standard sockets
29%

Total votes : 14

Machined or standard sockets

Postby vbriel » Feb Sat 21, 2009 9:34 am

I thought I would ask this question as a poll to see what people think. The advantage to machine is they are much better sockets, you don't suffer "chip creep" where the chips come out of the socket. Disadvantage is the price is 5 times standard sockets in some cases.

Standard sockets are very low cost. Much better than direct board soldering. Easy to install chips. Can suffer from chip creep.

My question is, which would you prefer to have in kits, machined sockets or standard. Is cost most important, or is quality? I've done kits now both ways and have not had much feedback on this subject.

Vince
vbriel
Site Admin

Re: Machined or standard sockets

Postby hanso » Feb Sat 21, 2009 10:43 am

vbriel wrote:. Is cost most important, or is quality?
Vince

After fighting since the early 80ties with the quality of the sockets in the Apple II, standard sockets! I would advise no one to use less than machined sockets. If a kit contains standard sockets, I throw them away and replace with machined.
hanso

No heartburn over standard sockets.

Postby Aaron Teeling » Apr Wed 08, 2009 3:42 pm

Every kit I have built so far has used machined sockets and that's nice, but I really don't think it is too big of a trade off to go with standard sockets. The projects we build are not abnormally warm or in some critical application.

If it saves x5 the cost per component, the kits will either be that more cheaper or Vince will make a little more profit off each kit.

Personally, I think Vince should get more coin.
Aaron Teeling

Postby AndyC » Apr Wed 08, 2009 5:13 pm

I have no problem with sticking to standard sockets.
AndyC

Return to Venues, projects and off topic stuff - NO SPAM