IBM PC
IBM AT
IBM PCjr
Coleco Adam
Amiga 1000
Atari ST
Orion Blastar

Postby vbriel » Aug Sat 15, 2009 4:20 pm

The problem with doing a recreation of most of these machines is that you can find most of them on ebay for less than it would cost to recreate them. The C64 was recently done as a joystick to TV called the DTV.

Vince
vbriel
Site Admin

Postby Des » Aug Mon 17, 2009 12:55 am

Many of the above mentioned computers are not rare yet and can be picked up fairly cheaply on ebay or at what we call here "tip shops" where they pick out anything of any use from the rubbish dump and sell it,

Another option if you wanted to look into so many different computers would be emulation software, sure it is not the real thing,

If you are after old games from these computers have a look on Google for Mame32
-
Kind Regards
Des
Des

Postby Orion Blastar » Aug Sun 30, 2009 6:26 pm

vbriel wrote:The problem with doing a recreation of most of these machines is that you can find most of them on ebay for less than it would cost to recreate them. The C64 was recently done as a joystick to TV called the DTV.

Vince

Well they don't use USB devices or PS/2 keyboards and the Replica 1 does. I think a recreation of the Commodore 64 would use compact flash memory that would be faster than a 1541 floppy drive.

The DTV joystick I haven't seen, but can it have a keyboard and floppy drive added to it? Otherwise it is a Commodore 64 GS (Game Station).

Can the Replica 1 be modified to behave like a Commodore 64 by writing a new BIOS? It would be a Commodore BASIC type system and I am guessing text only. There were a lot of 6502 type 8 bit computers made, surely the Replica 1 can be made to function like at least some of them. It would make it multi-use and teach students about the different 8 bit systems out there.
Last edited by Orion Blastar on Aug Sun 30, 2009 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Orion Blastar

Postby Orion Blastar » Aug Sun 30, 2009 6:39 pm

Des wrote:Many of the above mentioned computers are not rare yet and can be picked up fairly cheaply on ebay or at what we call here "tip shops" where they pick out anything of any use from the rubbish dump and sell it,

Another option if you wanted to look into so many different computers would be emulation software, sure it is not the real thing,

If you are after old games from these computers have a look on Google for Mame32

Actually it is MAME's sister project MESS:
http://www.mess.org/

#1 You have to get the BIOS ROM for the machine.
#2 You have to get the disk and tape images for use with the emulator as they cannot be used via tape recorder or floppy drive like the real thing.
#3 Emulation is not as good as the real thing.

Getting the BIOS ROMs and Disk and Tape images seem harder than building a replica device. Nobody seems to have them, and I cannot find them for sale. The companies that own the IP don't seem to be selling the images yet.

Also MESS is in beta stage and some computer emulators are not 100% working yet.
Orion Blastar

Re: Future project ideas

Postby Aaron Teeling » May Tue 11, 2010 8:07 pm

This argument comes up time and time again....

This is a hobby. I doesn't have to be practical or cost effective. Emulation is possible for all machines. It's just not the point...

... Vince has made quite a few of theses machines over the years, I've own at least one of every model. It has brought hours of enjoyment, if anything, just to make it 'go'. It's is about the closest thing many of us are going to get to designing and building a computer from 30 years ago. Lots of possibilities.

So Orion.. keep making a list, you never know what will spark Vinces fancy.
Aaron Teeling,
Replica 1, Rev C, SE, TE, Multi-Board, Expansion Board, CFFA1, PockeTerm and PockeTerm Prototype, Micro-Kim, 32K Board, COMSAC ELF 2000, N8VEM, SBC6120 with Front Panel, Altair680Kit
Aaron Teeling

Postby anhingus » Jul Fri 30, 2010 3:06 pm

strikes me that a nice future project would be an updated digi-designer using stickos to replace switches, pushbuttons, freq generator, etc. it has multi-channel adc, 2 rs-232 ports, 80 i/o ports for real, a decent basic, self-programming . i bought an atria board with the usb function - fired up out of the box on usb alone and talks to windows hyperterminal.

anyway, jameco still sells what looks like the digi-designer i used 30+ years ago, but $400 for an antique appliance? geared still to 74LSxx?

having given up on the propeller, i have parts on order to do an mcu controlled designer and will interface output through my pocket terminal [nice piece of work, vince! you're a better man than i for struggling with spin!] and use vga until the price on the oled displays come down.

an mcu designer along the lines of the old digital/analog designers would be a public service.
anhingus

Postby vbriel » Jul Sat 31, 2010 4:54 am

Got a page link on that digi-designer from Jameco, I'd like to look at it. Something like that at $400 would be just the thing to replicate at a lower cost.

Vince
vbriel
Site Admin

Return to Venues, projects and off topic stuff - NO SPAM