Another Commodore comeback?

Vintage Events and off topic talk

Another Commodore comeback?

Postby vbriel » Dec Mon 20, 2010 5:14 pm

Looks like somebody else has bought the Commodore name and is prepping new computers under their name. This time, they are trying to keep the retro feel of the Commodore computer lineup. I might actually like this approach. Have a look:

http://www.commodoreusa.net/CUSA_Home.aspx

Somebody that either grew up with a Commodore or likes retro machines has had a definate influence. I like the Phoenix and the name means "Rise from the ashes". If the price is right, I know where I might need a machine like this.
vbriel
Site Admin

Re: Another Commodore comeback?

Postby Bill Loguidice » Dec Tue 21, 2010 11:36 am

I talked about it here: http://www.armchairarcade.com/neo/node/3724 and previously, here: http://www.armchairarcade.com/neo/node/3430 . I've been highly critical of the people behind that organization in the past because they initially lied about having ANY rights to the Commodore name and basically went about procuring them AFTER announcing it and getting publicity.

Their zero footprint PC's, and specifically the Pheonix, had zero to do with the Commodore brand, and were merely generic zero footprint PC's at relatively high prices. This month they announced the C-64 breadbox-style PC which DOES do justice to their license, but the sad fact of the matter - in my opinion - they're overengineering the hell out of it (optical drive, etc.), which will cause the price to be sky high for what has a primary usage as either a Commodore 8-bit dev machine (via emulation) or dedicated Commodore 8-bit emulation machine (again, via emulation). With that in mind they should only have what's absolutely necessary to achieve that and hit a $199 price point. As they're specc'ing it now, I wouldn't be surprised to see it at a minimum of $499.
Bill Loguidice

Postby vbriel » Dec Tue 21, 2010 5:16 pm

I agree, price point is critical. Somehow I don't think they will hit $199 unless they do things correctly. I want to see more technical info on the machines before I'd even consider buying one, and even then, I'm more interested in the phoenix due to its small footprint. Again, let's see what they actually release.
vbriel
Site Admin

Postby Bill Loguidice » Dec Tue 21, 2010 5:23 pm

They sold those generic zero footprint PC's (which is all the "Pheonix" version is--the Commodore name was nothing more than publicity purposes) for a while, or least they had prices posted for a while. They were insanely priced, like $599 on up, and typically well up. All they really are are laptops without the battery and screen. Anyway, there have been zero footprint PC makers for the past 15 years (at least). Here's one: http://www.cybernetman.com/en/Products/ZeroFootprintPC/ . Look similar to anything? Like I said, this "Commodore USA" has not done anything special to this point other than make a highly public play for the Commodore license, which they eventually got, albeit in the most unethical way possible. Their plastic printer renders of the breadbox C-64 PC is their most original idea...
Bill Loguidice

Postby vbriel » Dec Tue 21, 2010 9:36 pm

Oh, you are so right. To be honest, I've been so busy, never even seen the zero footprints before like this, and in some cases, makes a good use because while it isn't a laptop, sometimes you want a laptop with a big screen. So, I guess these Commodore guys are just the same ol' thing again, trying to market the name and nothing else. I noticed their Amiga's are just empty media center cases (probably made by somebody else too).
vbriel
Site Admin

Postby Bill Loguidice » Dec Wed 22, 2010 10:06 am

I agree 100% that PC-in-a-keyboard has significant utility under several scenarios. I'm more frustrated by this company's actions overall. I'm certainly willing to give them a second chance though with this C-64 breadbox PC, but I also see it as a lost opportunity if it's going to be in the same $499+ price range, which, based on those specs, it sadly will be and then some. I look at it this way, if you, Vince, as an individual, can do the amazing things that you do and sell product at the prices you sell them at, surely this "company" that (finally) procured the rights to use "Commodore USA" could do something more than reselling off-the-shelf products at outrageous prices. The C-64 breadbox PC is an opportunity to do that, but not with clearly unnecessary, expensive extras. In other words I see a significant disconnect between the device's design and intended purpose (something with a C-64-centric keyboard is NOT a general purpose PC) and how it's actually being put together (all kinds of high end extras, like the optical drive and extra memory, etc., which are not necessary for full function Commodore 8-bit emulation).
Bill Loguidice

Postby dderny » Dec Wed 14, 2011 3:55 pm

I dont understand what they are doing
who would really use a pc with a C64 keyboard.. ?
it would be painful like hell.
I'll never buy their stuff...

Commdore always had rather bad keyboards.

I'm rather waiting for Vince next creation :)

I'm craving for a commodore cbm 8000

--
didier
dderny

Postby Bill Loguidice » Dec Wed 14, 2011 3:59 pm

dderny wrote:I dont understand what they are doing
who would really use a pc with a C64 keyboard.. ?
it would be painful like hell.
I'll never buy their stuff...

Commdore always had rather bad keyboards.

I'm rather waiting for Vince next creation :)

I'm craving for a commodore cbm 8000

--
didier

All other considerations aside, while the keyboard looks exactly like the original, it actually uses proper switches, so the typing experience is supposed to be excellent.
Bill Loguidice

Return to Venues, projects and off topic stuff - NO SPAM