Sudoku for the Apple I

Discuss software for the Apple 1/replica 1

Sudoku for the Apple I

Postby iceandfire » Jun Fri 02, 2006 4:30 pm

I've written what I think is a unique approach to the Sudoku-creation method for the Apple-1 BASIC. It fits in the original 4K of memory, so that if Sudoku had been around in the 70's this would have worked with the original Apple-1.
What's interesting is that the program is written to use Apple's string-handling capibilities, instead of a more traditional approach using arrays.

Sudoku, for those of you that might not know, is a popular puzzle appearing in many newspapers and books. It is drawn with a 9x9 square, with 81 blank spots. With a number of hints already given, the object is to fill the rest of the square with the numbers 1 to 9. Each horizontal row, each vertical column, and each of the 9 "mini-squares" of nine spots need to be filled with a unique number. No math is required. It is quite addictive for some people.

There are other programs available to create (and solve) Sudoku puzzles on the web. This one is free for everyone. It does not help you solve your puzzle .. you get no additional hints or corrections when you make a mistake. In fact, you can't use your Replica to solve it at all.
The program generates puzzles, which you then have to print out and solve. If you want, the program will also print an answer sheet to check your work from.

I've sent the listing to Vince so that he can post it here.

Larry Nelson
iceandfire

Postby cheese1113 » Jun Fri 02, 2006 5:42 pm

Sounds really awesome!
Max Wooden
cheese1113

Postby vbriel » Jun Fri 02, 2006 10:09 pm

My replica page is hosed so until I get a minute to fix it here is a direct link:

http://www.brielcomputers.com/files/sudoku.txt

Vince
vbriel
Site Admin

Return to Software