What are your use cases for the Pocketterm

Talk about the PockeTerm, updates, and uses

What are your use cases for the Pocketterm

Postby cappy2112 » Feb Sat 07, 2015 11:11 pm

I'm curious why you would need a Pocketterm, as opposed to going directly to your PC serial port
cappy2112

Re: What are your use cases for the Pocketterm

Postby herman » Feb Sun 08, 2015 12:25 pm

I have a CP/M machine I built a while ago. With the Pocket Term I attach to a LCD display and PS2 keyboard and I have a portable CP/M machine. Also used it on Fignition kit with communications upgrage. Planning on using eventually on my 1802 Membership card. That way I don't have to have a computer/laptop to use the machines.
herman

Postby cappy2112 » Feb Sun 08, 2015 2:58 pm

herman wrote:I have a CP/M machine I built a while ago. With the Pocket Term I attach to a LCD display and PS2 keyboard and I have a portable CP/M machine. Also used it on Fignition kit with communications upgrage. Planning on using eventually on my 1802 Membership card. That way I don't have to have a computer/laptop to use the machines.

Ok- that makes sense now.

I've just built a membership card too.
I'm a bit fuzzy on the Serial port though. The docs are a bit confusing.
The DB25 can be used with a PC parallel port, but I think 2 of the signals are RX/TX for RS-232.

It's too bad the Fignition only has composite out.

Thanks for that input.
cappy2112

Postby tfurrows » Aug Sat 15, 2015 5:04 pm

I've used mine with the MAX232 chip removed, to connect to 3v TTL serial headers, on routers and other devices, for programming purposes. You can do this with a PC and the appropriate cable, but it was fun to do it with the PocketTerm. Mostly, I enjoy having a bit of nostalgia around, with a text terminal that I can store easily and that doesn't have a CRT to break.
tfurrows

Return to PockeTerm General Discussion