Troubleshooting serial IO?

Get help here getting your replica 1 going

Troubleshooting serial IO?

Postby rsayers » Jan Wed 11, 2012 10:13 pm

I've got my kit built and its displaying the prompt to my composite monitor. Much to my dismay I discovered I no longer have any ps/2 keyboards knocking about, so I'll have to pick one up tomorrow.

In the meanwhile I've decided to try the serial route, I plugged it into my pc using a null modem and followed the directions according to the manual. The difference is that I'm using minicom on linux (although I've tried other software, as well as putty under windows 7) and each time the flashing cursor will stop a few moments after I hit the reset button and will remain steady.

I'm quite confident in my soldering at this point (considering how many times I had to double check it to get this far) so I'm at a bit of a loss as to where to start troubleshooting this issue. Any help would be appreciated.
rsayers

Re: Troubleshooting serial IO?

Postby Dav1dr4y » Jan Fri 13, 2012 4:14 pm

You ought to be able to plug in your composite display and the serial at the same time (or skip the serial initially). Then you should turn on the Replica I and get @ on the composite display. Then pressing reset should give you \ then @. If you are not getting that then you have problems before the serial port.

I just built a Replica I kit myself. I was not getting the \ and @ after the reboot. After a lot of diagnosing I figured out my 6821 was bad.
Dav1dr4y

Return to Troubleshooting