New user

Discuss the new Altair 8800 Micro

New user

Postby dbvanhorn » Jul Thu 25, 2013 9:35 pm

I'm awaiting my kit with (some) patience. I just found this site by accident, a co-worker ran across it and told me about it.
I love the idea. I got started with the 8515 back in '98 or so. I don't remember the date but I wrote my application in the simulator mostly because they didn't have chips yet. My first 8515 has the date code "ES" which indicates engineering sample. It was a UPC/EAN bar code reader in ASM.

I've been working with the AVR platform ever since. I saw the 8800 when I was in high school, and there was just no way I could afford one. Now I can have an itty bitty one on my desk! :)

Interestingly I see that the first computer I actually owned is another project on here, the OSI-C1P. I wrote a version of the arcade game "Depth Charge" for that one, which I tried to get marketed through AArdvark, but they returned it to me without playing it because "Games written in basic aren't playable".. Grr.. I had to slow it down to make it play like the arcade, but it was a faithful repro of the arcade version. Matrix math was the key.

Those were the days. I built my first modem from scratch, which was tons of fun.

One thing I'd like to build is a workable tape interface. The secret is dumping the entire audio chain, and then using a current to voltage converter on the tape head to read the tape rather than using voltage mode. I can explain further if people are interested. The right circuit is dead simple, and the wrong ones are WAY complicated. Remember all those "save it to tape five times so that maybe once it will read correctly" events?
dbvanhorn

Re: New user

Postby dbvanhorn » Aug Fri 02, 2013 5:53 pm

CAM00305-b25.jpg
Fresh paint!
CAM00305-b25.jpg (45.29 KiB) Viewed 7930 times

Build complete, other than the Prom for the Propellor which is on it's way (thanks Vince!). The paint is drying on the cabinet, I used Rust-oleum high performance enamel "safety blue" V2124838. I'm thinking of painting the back panel, probably in Rust-oleum protective enamel, but what did the back end of the original 8800 look like? I havent found any back side pictures.

It sure looks pretty, but I'm wanting the cool lights!
dbvanhorn

Re: New user

Postby dbvanhorn » Aug Mon 05, 2013 8:50 pm

#248 is alive, sitting on my desk and happily churning through a few lines of basic printing sin, cos, tan of random numbers.

Pretty blinkenlitez!!

Back in the day, I would have been simulating model rocket flights on this. As it was, I had to do it manually with a four-banger in 10mS intervals.
dbvanhorn

Return to Altair 8800 Micro