Terminal emulation questions

Talk about the PockeTerm, updates, and uses

Terminal emulation questions

Postby tfurrows » Aug Fri 14, 2015 5:49 pm

I've got my PocketTerm talking to my linux machine's serial console.... but they're not playing 100% nice together. I've tried forcing TERM to vt100, vt102, and vt220, but to no avail. Specifically, certain console applications don't want to use more than 24 rows (midnight commander, lynx). On top of that, I had to program the arrow keys manually in MC, and lynx has a terrible time drawing anything properly on the screen.

Any tips that could help get me going in the right direction? Thanks for your help!
tfurrows

Re: Terminal emulation questions

Postby tfurrows » Aug Sat 15, 2015 7:15 pm

Just to add, "vi" and "top" also seem to have issues with drawing properly. Top is usable, vi is not really very usable. What am I doing wrong?
tfurrows

Postby tfurrows » Aug Sun 16, 2015 10:25 pm

Also, the pocketterm is failing "vttest" pretty badly. Is this normal?

http://invisible-island.net/vttest/
tfurrows

Postby tfurrows » Aug Sun 16, 2015 11:53 pm

Interestingly, "links" with my agetty set to vt102, and stty set to 36 rows, seems to work well. I can navigate without drawing errors, and the browser is quite usable.
tfurrows

Postby tfurrows » Mar Tue 15, 2016 3:27 pm

I can't get mine to draw properly. I've tried vt52,vt100,vt102,vt220, and ansi terminals. I've tried 9600, 19200, and 38400 for baud rates. It "works" but lynx and other programs that use vt commands to move the cursor don't work properly at all. Lynx redraws links whenever you arrow around, it's very unreadable. vttest fails entirely on drawing. Midnight Commander works to a degree, but not well.

I'd be interested in any tips anyone might have.
tfurrows

Postby tfurrows » Mar Wed 16, 2016 1:15 pm

Update: using "lynx" doesn't work properly no matter what I do. However, the "links" text-based browser seems to work really well. Set your tty to 36 rows with "stty rows 36" first and then just run links with default options.

I don't know if there are any tricks to make "lynx" work, but it hardly matters as "links" is equivalent.
tfurrows

Postby jac_goudsmit » Apr Wed 13, 2016 3:45 pm

Unfortunately the terminal emulation in the Pocketerm could use a lot of improvement. Basically, don't expect anything to work besides the basic cursor control commands. I use my Pocketerm pretty much only in situations where I don't need full-screen editing (i.e. basically everything that was designed for paper terminals).

I have some vague plans in my head to write some alternate firmware for the PockeTerm with a full VT240 emulation (including double-wide and double-high fonts) plus capabilities to use the on-board EEPROM as a paper-tape punch and paper-tape reader, but this at the bottom of a long list of other things that aren't getting done because of lack of time.

===Jac
jac_goudsmit

Postby tfurrows » Apr Wed 13, 2016 3:53 pm

Awesome, thanks for the update. It's good to at least know the limitations; I thought the issue might be with my setup.

I look forward to any PocketTerm updates that may come in the future, especially since they come at a price of the time and effort of those who keep these kinds of hobbies going. Thank you for your work.
tfurrows

Return to PockeTerm General Discussion