10%
Case, possibly including a keypad
10%
Terminal emulator card w/VGA + PS/2 keyboard I/O
14%

Total votes : 21

Micro-KIM expansion

Postby sje » Jul Mon 23, 2007 12:19 am

After looking through the old KIM-1 literature, I note that there were plenty of expansion and accessory items available back in the Old Days. Many of these could be modernized and adapted to the Micro-KIM. What kinds of add-on would you like to see?

(Assume that there will be some sort of expansion card bus that plugs into the 40 pin header.)
sje

Postby jburke71 » Jul Mon 23, 2007 8:48 pm

I've never used one, but it seems like it sure would be nice to have some real buttons keys on it. Call me crazy (which may not be too far from the truth), but I'd like to try my hand at programming the thing without attaching it to my desktop computer, and keys, to save my fingers from becoming bloody stumps, might be a good thing =).

However, if I'm going down that path, I guess having some type of mass storage would be useful. I can probably figure out how to add button keys with enough blood for motivation.

Jason
jburke71

Postby asm2750 » Jul Fri 27, 2007 8:39 pm

I would like to see a video/keyboard interface myself.
asm2750

Postby vbriel » Jul Sat 28, 2007 12:29 pm

It wouldn't take much to make a terminal to a VGA monitor or TV and ps/2 keyboard. It could have a pass-through port to connect it to a PC still to download programs.

Vince
vbriel
Site Admin

Another idea

Postby sje » Jul Sat 28, 2007 9:46 pm

Now, the 40 pin header on the Micro-KIM will connect to a plain IDE cable, right? Now all I need is a way of connecting the other end to a breadboard and I'm on my way to any number of little projects.

The first one is the simplest; 24 LEDs (each with a 220 ohm current limiter) to display the address and data buses. Might not need a few of the uppermost address LEDs for awhile, though.

I can then expand on that with some more LEDs, switches, and some latches along with a little glue to make a front panel of sorts.
sje

Postby asm2750 » Jul Sun 29, 2007 1:00 am

Yes an IDE cable should work, however, some ide cables have one of the pins blocked with plastic, you can open it usually using a dremel with a really small drill bit and steady hand.

You know I just remembered, isn't the commodore PET a glorified KIM-1 with keyboard and video?
asm2750

Postby sje » Jul Sun 29, 2007 10:17 pm

Yes, Chuck Peddle was the main designer for the 6502, the KIM-1 and the PET. The first PET model was rather limited although later models offered increased RAM, a more debugged ROM, real keyboards, etc.

See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chuck_Peddle

And: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commodore_PET
sje

Postby bacon » Aug Wed 08, 2007 1:43 am

I voted for the cassette interface card, but it was really a toss-up between that and the 32K memory board.

I wouldn't be that interested in a terminal emulator/VGA card since I guess I will be happy with using my Linux box as a terminal (haven't received my kit yet so I can't really tell). I would be much more interested in some kind of simple graphics board with composite output, perhaps something like the SWTPC GT-6144 Graphics Terminal Kit for that authentic vintage feeling.
bacon

32 KB memory expansion

Postby sje » Aug Wed 08, 2007 5:22 am

I'd like to see a 32 KB memory expansion first; this is something almost everyone will use and it's probably the simplest card to implement.

Concerning the cassette interface:

Remember that the KIM cassette input decoder routine is very slow, and even the hypertape alternative is slow. Shoving data down the RS-232 link is as fast as it's going to get, and even then it's almost a full minute to load the five KB on a Micro-KIM. If people are already using the RS-232 port for console I/O, then there's not a big need for a cassette interface. At least relative to the need for other items like more memory.
sje

Expansions...

Postby Charly » Aug Sat 18, 2007 3:22 am

In my opinion, I would like to have another 6532 RIOT or something like that. Single board computers are best for interfacing with the rest of the world, and the KIM was one of the first to do that and it had most applications with those keys, LEDs, and whatever.
In the moment, I see no reason for more expansion.
But I'm happy now handling this stuff and reading the old magazines with programming and interfacing... The Micro-KIM is really a nice projekt!
All the best
Charly DL4DBY
Charly

Postby hanso » Oct Sun 21, 2007 10:13 am

I would like to see the next expansion boards for the Micro-KIM

1. Complete KIM-1

Many books and magazine articles have projects based on the expandibility of the KIM-1. So the second 6532 is a must, since here the I/O lines and timer are present for these experiments.

Note that there is one difference between 6530 and 6532 that should be taken into account. On the 6530 PB7 is to be tied to IRQ or NMI for a timer generated interrupt. On the 6532 there is an extra line called IRQ with the same functionality. Please do not tie that 6532 IRQ pin fixed to the IRQ line of the 6502 but make it an option to jumper that to IRQ or NMI!

And of course the cassette functions need to be there too.
Sonehow the 12V requirement should be avoided...

MicroAde motor control (also used with other KIM-1 programs) connected to the remote input of the recorder, a small relay is most convenient.
- PB2 - cassette recorder for reading
- PB3 - cassette recorder for writing

2. 6551 + 6522
- The ACIA for obvious reasons: serial inertface without the overhead of the KIM-1 bit banging TTY interfaces
- The 6522 as the ultimate I/O IC for experiments

3. CFFA1 of course
hanso

Return to Micro-KIM General Discussion