7" composite LCD on the way

Talk about your replica, what you have done and what you use it for

7" composite LCD on the way

Postby vbriel » Dec Sun 04, 2005 10:22 am

I just purchased a 7" LCD off eBay and I'm going to try it on the replica to see how it does. It is suppose to be full TV resolution so it "should" work great. I'll be sure to post my results once I get it.

Vince
vbriel
Site Admin

Postby Pierre » Dec Sun 04, 2005 11:26 am

hello Vince, hello to all...
my kit is built
and all is OK
I try it on a 20'' TV LCD (input composite video): perfect video on first try
16 lines, 40 rows perfectly centered on a european PAL/SECAM TV

just 2 lines in basic :
10 PRINT "HELLO WORLD ";
20 GOTO 10

and test of WOZ monitor

future test : serial interface board to load external programs via Hyper Terminal

I can send photos of my construction and of my LCD screen
where, what site, can I send it ?

excuse my bad english, I am purhaps the first owner of a REPLICA 1

Pierre
Pierre

Postby fynch » Dec Sun 04, 2005 5:20 pm

the first?
fynch

Postby Pierre » Dec Sun 04, 2005 5:42 pm

the first FRENCH owner !

excuse me for miss of this quality !!!

Pierre
Pierre

Postby fynch » Dec Sun 04, 2005 9:19 pm

Well it's good to see people from all around the world. It always brings a touch more flair to conversation.

btw, mon Français est merde
fynch

Re: 7" composite LCD on the way

Postby mrbill » Dec Mon 05, 2005 3:09 am

vbriel wrote:I just purchased a 7" LCD off eBay and I'm going to try it on the replica to see how it does. It is suppose to be full TV resolution so it "should" work great. I'll be sure to post my results once I get it.
Vince

Hopefully it works better than the 4" one I have :?

How much did you pay for it?
mrbill

Postby vbriel » Dec Mon 05, 2005 6:07 pm

I paid $36 plus $25 for shipping from Hong Kong. Feed back shows fast shipping and good seller so I'm hoping for a good transaction. Yeah Bill, you 4" was the 2nd one I've seen like that. It's like the colors are bleeding together to form the white and don't do a good job.

France: Not the first, but I don't hear much back so I'm curious to hear about your story. Any problems with NTSC signal?

Vince
vbriel
Site Admin

no problem with NTSC norm

Postby Pierre » Dec Tue 06, 2005 2:11 pm

I try my Replica 1 with an european LCD 20'' TV (PAL / SECAM) with his video composite input
no problem with NTSC signal (60Hz/15,73KHz)

the TV "lock" and text is well centered on the screen

I try it also with an old 8'' B&W monitor (used in video survey)
it "lock" also, text centerd : 24 lines, 40 rows

I check the signals with my scope (an HP 54600A) : frequencys are (approx) ok : frame 30 Hz and lines 15,7KHz

I imagine to replace the xtal 14.318 MHz by a 17.734 MHz
these 2 xtals are often choice between NTSC and PAL in several video components (like OSD...)
I dont try it
perhaps, it will be necessary to modify the software inside the ATMEGA 8 ?

I can make others tests if you want

Pierre ROUSSIERE (ham radio F1FCO)
south of France
Pierre

Postby mrbill » Dec Tue 06, 2005 9:43 pm

vbriel wrote:I paid $36 plus $25 for shipping from Hong Kong. Feed back shows fast shipping and good seller so I'm hoping for a good transaction. Yeah Bill, you 4" was the 2nd one I've seen like that. It's like the colors are bleeding together to form the white and don't do a good job.
Vince

It gave a crappy picture when hooked up to an Atari Flashback 2 video game console as well.

If your 7" unit works out and looks good, please post the seller's ID so I can grab one too.
mrbill

Postby vbriel » Dec Sat 10, 2005 5:46 pm

Well, the LCD arrived and I just got home from a business trip for a week. Still, I had to see what the LCD looked like. When I first hooked it up, the picture quality was crap. I thought it might be the LCD so I tried it on my XBox and the image looked really good. sharp, clear, nice. The LCD came with a remote but no power supply since it was designed for a car and 12 volts. So, off to get a spare 12V wall-wart and work on the replica video.

This story is long, so bear with me, it is worth it to everybody.

When I designed the replica, I recruited the help of my friend in California, Greg Glawitsch to design the video firmware after we had a discussion about the video section. He handled the video code like a champ and it seemed to work good on most TV's and monitors but not all. I had problems with Apple monitors and the screen bled at the top and looked horrible. Well, the replica is a project and not an exact science but I always knew it would need improving. I added the ability to clear the screen, home the cursor and Greg had a problem getting the cursor to start at the top and scroll down. I fixed those with rev 2 of the video section.

Moving to today's problem:

I decided to tackle the image bleading problem and see if I can't get a better image off the LCD. Spending most of today with the replica instead of my family I labored long and hard. The results are in....

http://www.brielcomputers.com/lcd.jpg

Please keep in mind, I still have the protective plastic on the LCD and that's why you see fingerprints. Also, my camera is not that great. Hope the wife reads this.

As you can see, the 7" LCD looks great! This beauty has contrast, brightness, volume (yes a speaker), and you can rotate the screen for mounting on a ceiling! It even has a remote.

Now, the replica video is not 100% perfect but I tried a Apple /// monitor and it appears to look much much better. Not perfect but definately a step in the right direction.

Bill, your 4" LCD might look better with the new video firmware but I'm not 100% sure some of that isn't with the LCD. If I remember correctly, you had a color blur created when the LCD tried to create white characters.

So, tell me what you think? Who is going to want their video firmware upgraded? Also, I will have backspace and lowercase available. To do that I need your keyboard encoder ATMEGA8515 chip as well. I know the Apple 1 didn't have backspace, but for those that want it, it is available.

Vince
vbriel
Site Admin

interested by AtMega8515

Postby Pierre » Dec Mon 12, 2005 1:05 pm

hello Vince,
fine work for backspace and lowercase...
I am interested
can you send me the file .HEX (or .BIN) ? to "burn" it in a new AtMega8515

I own an universal programmer : ELNEC SmartProg and I can do it myself

thank you for answer

Pierre, south of France
Pierre

Postby mrbill » Dec Wed 14, 2005 10:33 pm

I'll definitely give the new video firmware a shot. Rather than ship you a chip to then be shipped back, can I can just send you some $$$ for a new chip?
mrbill

Postby vbriel » Dec Sat 17, 2005 9:35 am

Yes I can. Do you want the whole backspace and lower case option? It requires a new 8515 and EEPROM as well? I charge $30 normally but will sell all 3 for $22 and that includes shipping. email me privately if you want them. $6 for just the video upgrade chip. I'm curious if it helps with your 4" display.

I tried my replica when I first designed it on our 47" widescreen and it didn't lock onto the signal. Now, it locks on and looks really cool. I'll post pics if anybody wants to see it.

Vince
vbriel
Site Admin

Postby cheese1113 » Dec Sat 17, 2005 4:58 pm

Yes!
Please post pics :)
Max Wooden
cheese1113

Postby mrbill » Jan Thu 05, 2006 6:53 pm

vbriel wrote:$6 for just the video upgrade chip. I'm curious if it helps with your 4" display.
Vince

Got the chip yesterday, installed it today - no change. I think I just have the junkiest 4" LCD on the planet. 8-)

Also - the Atari Flashback II (Atari 2600 with built-in games) looks like junk on the same LCD too. I just need to get one of the 7" units like you did.
mrbill

Next

Return to replica 1 General Discussion