Play songs/sounds from a floppy/memory?

The Apple ][ MP3 board

Play songs/sounds from a floppy/memory?

Postby kgreene » Aug Thu 11, 2011 7:43 pm

I wanted to know, can the mp3 card get data from the apple II memory itself, or does it have to get the data from the usb stick? I realize you probably couldn't play a lot from a small amount of data, but I always thought it would be cool if the card was capable of playing very low bitrate data...You could then store the data on the II itself.

Or, is the USB stick somehow accessible from the II and your code just copies the data from the file to the mp3 player? I assumed initially from your posts that it was just telling the mp3 card which files to play from the usb stick.
kgreene

Re: Play songs/sounds from a floppy/memory?

Postby mkent » Aug Thu 11, 2011 8:35 pm

kgreene wrote:
I assumed initially from your posts that it was just telling the mp3 card which files to play from the usb stick.

That's exactly what the card and player program currently do.

I wanted to know, can the mp3 card get data from the apple II memory itself...

It's possible with some additional software, but it'll be slow. The link from the Apple II to the card is a serial connection, so you couldn't stream any decent MP3's from the Apple II in real time. But you could transfer the MP3 from the Apple II side to the USB stick and then play the song.

All you need is software. I'm working on it, as are others, I'm sure.

Mike
mkent

Re: Play songs/sounds from a floppy/memory?

Postby kgreene » Aug Thu 11, 2011 9:57 pm

Huh, ok. So there is at least a way. I was just hoping for something very low quality. Funny because I had toyed with this idea a while ago, but I am one for coming up with ideas and not so good at implementing them in a timely fashion... :-)

So...is there any on board memory on the card you can copy in to, or are you limited to the usb stick? (Not that it's really much of a "limitation"...heh)
kgreene

Return to A2MP3